us

us

Friday, April 6, 2012

false alarm


Yesterday we had quite the adventure. I went to the doctor for my scheduled non stress test. I have two a week. Things started out bad. The nurse is supposed to check on me about every five minutes and if everything goes smoothly I can leave after twenty. Fifty- five minutes later, I still haven't seen my nurse. At this point I have to go to the bathroom so I start asking for her. Someone else comes to my aid and sees that I have been having contractions. Well, I've been having contractions for two weeks and feel fine. They insist that the on call doctor check me. So I do and they think I need to be admitted. The doctor says she will be right back and disappears. A new nurse comes to tell me she is taking me to labor and delivery to have a baby. I get down there and am told that the doctor is waiting for me but I must be admitted first. A half hour later when I am admitted the doctor got called into an emergency and there isn't a clean room for me, so I am sitting in a wheelchair half naked in the hall. When I finally get in a room I try to ask my new nurse what is going on because Phil is working in Ogden and doesn't know if he should come or not if I'm not in real labor. Two nurses assure me that I am having a baby today. So I cancel all my work appointments, since I was supposed to head into work.

I get hooked up to an i.v. I get hooked up to monitors on my belly. I get started on a sugar drip because my blood is low. Phil is on the freeway. Because I had that awful sickness last year C-diff I am in "solitary" after the nurse calls the center of infectious disease because they don't know enough about C-diff to know if I could be contagious. Keep in mind, I had it last May. Forever ago. My nurses then leave me alone in my room for an hour. When I have to go to the bathroom and don't have a nurse call button to push, I unhook myself from all my wires. Then I go out to the hall mostly naked to tell them to re hook me. Then I don't see the nurse for another hour. No one has told me what is really going on.

Phil finally gets to the hospital, and when he walks in the room it looks as if he has been punched in they eye. Turns out he either had an allergic reaction to something or the nerves of me in "labor" made his eyes swell. I get nervous that they won't let him near me. The nurses tell him to go to the E.R. to get checked because he looks so bad. Instead he goes home and gets his allergy medicine. Driving with his eyes mostly closed. Comes back and is so drowsy from his medicine that he is falling asleep. It's now been like 5 hours since I got to my appointment. I'm worried that my husband is going to be asleep while I have a baby. Still haven't met with the doctor to know what is going on. Nothing ever progresses so they tell me I can maybe go home. The resident doctor who looks twelve finally comes to check on me and thinks I'm not in real labor. Tells me that I can be induced but the baby is still early so they need to decide what to do. My blood sugar is quickly dropping. I finally get to go home eight hours later, and am told to come back when my contractions get worse or my water breaks.

Next Tuesday when I see my real doctor (who is on vacation for spring break), I will have quite the story to tell. What a day!

4 comments:

Emily Drennan said...

Oh my goodness Mandy !! That was quite the ordeal! You're such a trooper. Can't wait for your baby to come! :)

Butch said...

Oh man that would be so frustrating! I would have freaked out for sure.

Butch said...

Ha ha the above comment is Dasha, apparently I am logged in on Butch's google account.

Leslie Knaphus said...

I thought Butch was being very empathetic for a guy!! Hope your real delivery goes better than this!!